Stress: The Silent Skin Saboteur
While we often associate stress with emotional turmoil, its effects extend far beyond our feelings. Stress can be a silent saboteur, wreaking havoc on our skin in various ways:
- Premature Aging: Stress triggers the release of cortisol, the notorious “stress hormone.” Excess cortisol can lead to break down in collagen, the protein responsible for maintaining skin’s elasticity. As a result, chronic stress can lead to premature wrinkles and sagging skin.
- Acne Flare-Ups: Stress also revs up oil production in the skin’s sebaceous glands. This excess oil can clog pores and lead to acne breakouts or exacerbate existing acne conditions.
- Dryness and Sensitivity: Stress can disrupt the skin’s moisture barrier, leading to increased dryness and sensitivity. Dry skin can become itchy and prone to irritation, while sensitive skin may develop redness and inflammation.
- Delayed Healing: When stress takes centre stage, your body prioritises addressing immediate threats, often at the expense of slower-healing processes like skin repair. This can prolong the healing time for wounds, scars, or skin conditions. I’m sure you can remember a time when you have picked that annoying spot a few days before a stressful event and then you end up trying to cover it up because it is taking so long to heal.
- Skin Conditions Aggravation: For those dealing with skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, or rosacea, stress can be a trigger that exacerbates these conditions, leading to more frequent flare-ups.
Tips to Reclaim Skin Health in Stressful Times
Now that we’ve unmasked stress as a sneaky skin saboteur, it’s time to take action and protect your skin’s health. Here are some tips to help you maintain a vibrant complexion, even in the face of stress:
- Practice Stress-Reduction Techniques: Incorporate stress-relief practices into your daily routine. Meditation, deep breathing exercises, yoga, or even a relaxing bath can help lower stress levels and promote skin health. Practising daily positive thinking and reflection in the form of affirmations can work wonders for the chaotic and stressed mind.
- Prioritise a Healthy Diet: Opt for a diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients can support your skin’s natural defence mechanisms and combat the effects of stress. Note the word prioritise…it’s not easy but when you put yourself first the benefits follow for you and everyone you look after.
- Skincare Routine: Maintain a consistent skincare routine with products tailored to your skin type. Gentle cleansers, hydrating moisturisers, and SPF are your skin’s best friends. Take that few moments in the evening to enhance your night time skin routine by using a dedicated night time moisturiser.
- Adequate Sleep: Quality sleep is essential for skin repair. Aim for 7-9 hours of restful sleep each night to help your skin regenerate and recover. It might be time to reflect on whether that evening glass of wine is giving you any benefit? Ditch it for a couple of weeks and reap the benefits of restful sleep.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking enough water is crucial for maintaining skin hydration. Limit caffeine and alcohol, which can dehydrate your skin, and opt for water and herbal teas instead.
- Seek Professional Advice: If stress is taking a toll on your skin, don’t hesitate to consult a healthcare professional. They can recommend specific treatments or products to address your skin concerns.
One final top tip…
CBG: Your Ally Against Stress and Skin Woes
Consider adding CBG-infused skincare products to your routine. CBG (Cannabigerol) has gained popularity for its potential to reduce stress and alleviate skin issues. It interacts with the endocannabinoid system in your body, which plays a role in regulating stress responses and maintaining skin balance.
Look for CBG skincare products with high-quality ingredients like hemp seed oil. Hemp seed oil is rich in fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants, making it an excellent choice for stressed-out skin. These products can provide soothing relief to irritated skin and contribute to a healthier complexion, hence why Made Of More included these two ingredients in our innovative HC+ Complex!
As you commemorate National Stress Awareness Day, remember that stress doesn’t have to define your skin’s destiny. By managing stress and incorporating skin-loving practices into your daily life, you can maintain the radiant, healthy skin you deserve, even during the challenging journey of menopause.